All abdominal scars have the potential to cause core and global (whole body) soft tissue and fascial dysfunction. Adhesions and scar tissue that build up around the scar can become a problem. If we think of an iceberg, the scar is the tip and there is a huge amount going on underneath. Rehabilitation of the scar requires a truly holistic approach and scar tissue therapy not only works locally on the scar but also considers the myofascial system as a whole. That is why at Body In Balance we don’t just treat the scar, we consider the woman behind the scar and her story.
When can a scar be treated ?
The scar needs to have healed on the outside for local scar tissue therapy to be done, however if a scar hasn’t completely healed we can still look for any restrictions around the scar and into the whole system and work on release techniques. We can also work on scars that are years old and still get great results.
Scars we commonly treat:
- Caesarean Section
- Gall Bladder
- Hernia Repair
- Diastasis Recti Repair
- Tummy Tuck
- Abdominal adhesions
- Laparoscopic abdominal scars
Common symptoms women report from abdominal scars:
- Pain, discomfort and numbness around the scar
- Pain on lifting or with exercise
- Low back, hip or other joint/muscle pains
- Inability to touch or look at the scar
- A disconnect between the tummy and pelvic floor
- Weakness at the core muscles
- Altered breathing patterns
- Issues with the visual appearance of scar
What can we do to help ?
- We look at how you’re breathing and correct any faulty breathing patterns
- We help you to reconnect the core to the breath and help you manage your intra-abdominal pressure for life
- Local and whole body scar mobilisation strategies
- Abdominal massage, soft tissue and myofascial release techniques local and global (we consider restrictions in the body as a whole)
- Instrument assisted massage, taping techniques
- We discuss how nutrition, hydration, stress and lifestyle affect connective tissue recovery
- Consider bowel health and avoiding constipation
- Help you reconnect to the abdomen if having difficulty touching or looking at the scar
- We educate and provide you with effective self treatment and home exercise strategies
- Help you to return to physical activity and exercise
- We listen to you and your story
Our Scar therapy sessions require a 1 hour appointment slot and are £70.00.
We offer scar therapy treatment packages at a discounted rate of £240.00 which include 4 one hour appointment sessions.